Sunday, May 30, 2010

Amanda

my great aunt Minerva owns the Maxwell family farm by Brimson. her parents Tom & Gilly owned the farm at the time of Amanda's murder. When her husband came home with their sons & found her in the house, he went first to his neighbor Tom's house, which was just a jaunt down the dirt road. At the first Sunday of June family reunion that Aunt Minerva hosted at the farm for my childhood & early adult years, my aunt Kay was telling how her Grandpa Tom had told her the story of the murder, how he was afraid he might be a suspect, since he had spent the day in the hayfield right down the road. I started doing some research....I found the picture in an old newspaper at the Bethany Genealogy Library, but I didn't copy it. I just happened on this picture this morning on a Harrison County MO genealogy website.
I found a few mentions of this in the old papers...never did find a conclusion. I started a book about it...will have to find it.
The cousins & I walked up the old dirt road to take pictures of the house one year, & I am glad we did...because soon after it was torn down. not sure where these pictures are, either...
Katie & I decorate Amanda's grave at Cat Creek Cemetery every year...just as in life, in death she is still a close neighbor to my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment